Monday, November 19, 2012

Creative A Day



I recently attended the SCBWI Conference (Southern Children's Book Writer's and Illustrator's)

One of the most inspiring workshops was on illustration by Kevin Lewis with Disney/ Hyperion. He was so energetic. He loves his job. He works with illustrators all day every day to bring ideas to life. 

After the workshop I found myself intrigued with the idea of illustration. The portfolios were incredible, all by artists in Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia. 


  


Shortly after the conference, I ran across a request for an illustrator in the Birmingham area. I have illustrated two books of my own and done a number of covers for the Alabama State Bureau of Tourism and Travel Calendars and individual projects, but never an illustration job for hire.

I share these as a sample of how I have stretched all I know about illustration into something that became nothing short of an out of body experience. If you know my style, it is loose and colorful.

I have a number of others for this project, but out of respect for the author I will wait until he publishes to reveal the others, as well as a cover design. 

I will say, being creative does not just mean declaring, "Hey I paint!"

STRETCH yourself! Maybe your talent is hiding in a project to create a six foot gourmet gingerbread house with dripping icing in multi colors as your medium!  Maybe it is in trimming hedges to look like rudolph or santa, or carving ice sculptures!

I am blessed that we live in a world where the entrepreneur is still able to "make a living without a job". 
That is a book I bought back in the 1980's right out of college. I was laughed at for reading it. 
Where is that person now? He is doing more than one thing himself, after years of sticking to his "one thing" he told me I should find.

Artists are not made to stay inside a box. And sometimes, that box might just lead you down the street to a river. Yes, I am way out there, but you creative folks get the point!

May 2013 be your year of creativity!

Blessings!

Allison Adams




No comments: